Islamabad : The Election Commission while pronouncing the verdict in the case of prohibited foreign funding of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf said that PTI took prohibited funding.
The Election Commission had announced the verdict of the prohibited funding case at 10 am today, but after some delay, Chief Election Commissioner Sikandar Sultan Raja announced the unanimous verdict of the three-member bench.
Key decision points
- It is proved that PTI has taken prohibited funds
- 13 unknown accounts emerged
- Donations were received from USA, Australia and UAE
- PTI failed to tell about these accounts
- Concealment of accounts is illegal under the Constitution
- Foreign funding prohibited under Article 6 of the Political Parties Act: ECP decision
- PTI received funds from 34 foreigners, 351 businesses and companies
- PTI took prohibited funding from Arif Naqvi’s company Woton Cricket
- 21 lakh 21 thousand 500 US dollars of prohibited funding was taken from Arif Naqvi’s company.
- Wootton Cricket Limited was operating under the umbrella of Abraaj Group
- Took 49 thousand 965 dollars of prohibited funding from UAE company Bristol Engineering Services
According to Article 6 of the Political Parties Act, foreign funding is prohibited
Imran Khan’s affidavit regarding party accounts is false: Election Commission
Imran Khan submitted form one which is based on misrepresentation and lies
The affidavit given regarding party accounts is false.
Both the accounts opened in the private bank were opened by Imran Khan in the name of PTI
One bank account had more than 8 crores and the other had 51 thousand dollars
UAE law prohibits charitable organizations from collecting donations
Fundraising requires permission, failure to obtain permission is a violation of UAE law
The Election Commission has also issued a show-cause notice to Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf for proving prohibited funding.
The decision has said that why their prohibited funds should not be confiscated, the Election Commission office should also initiate the rest of the process according to the law, a copy of the decision is issued to the federal government.
Strict security arrangements
The roads leading to the Election Commission have been blocked and heavy police force has been deployed outside the Election Commission to deal with any emergency.
Only Serena Hotel and Margalla Road are open for entry on Dastur Highway, while the road near Nadra Chowk, Election Commission has been blocked with containers.